Tuesday 16 September 2008

Bunac Work Canada - Summary of My Jobs

Summary
I thought I would do a quick summary of my jobs and time in Canada. For a country that would take 3 full days of car travel to cross, It would only take 8 hours to drive from my current job to my first location in Fernie. My jobs have been localised to the East Kootney region, B.C. and Jasper National Park, AB. This may seem like I haven't really explored Canada much, which is true, but I have been in one of the most beautiful parts. I have also avoided large towns, which has focused my stay here on nature and outdoor activities. I have lived all my life in towns, so for me, living in remote places has been a new and fun experience.

Fernie, East Kootneys, B.C., Population: 6,200, November 2007 - April 2008
Beautiful small town, worked as a ticket checker at the local ski hill and got a free ski pass. I also sold my soul and worked at Subway!

Skookumchuck,East Kootneys, B.C., Population: 66, April 2008 - July 2008
Tree planting on a small farm, got free board in the form of a caravan. Beautiful remote place.

Jasper National Park, Alberta, Population; Staff: 120, Campers etc: 150, August 2008 - October 2008
Got a job working in a National Park on a hotel front desk, my choice of home keeps getting more remote. We have staff accommodation and food provided, so very easy to save money, spend most of my time hiking and camping, absolutely love it. Get other perks, like free tourist tours in Jasper and Banff. Got a free 1 hour helicopter ride the other day, with a 30 minute hike to a waterfall. And people ask me why I would chose to live and work here rather than being an engineer in a city. Nothing is better than mountains!

No comments: